post

Growing Faster than TechCrunch – Thank You, Netvibes

Don’t worry, dear reader, TechCrunch is still doing OK – their Feedburner subscription base grew almost 100% overnight.  But it pales in comparison to my 2.5million % growth rate … yes, I went from 200 or so to 51k.   Jeff Clavier did quite well, too, at 56k, but hey Jeff, I am catching up!

OK, now that I had my coffee and am awake (?),  let’s look at what really happened.

The culprit is clearly Netvibes – or to be precise, I don’t know if the error is on the Netvibes or Feedburner side, but clearly the Netvibes numbers are solely responsible for the inflated stats.  The “fluff factor” is not a multiplier, they simply appear to have added a base of 50K or so to all statistics.

Hm… perhaps it’s not a glitch, it’s a “feature”, since NetVibes just installed an upgrade Hey Netvibes (or Feedburner?), I hope I get a “finder’s fee” for pointing this out: when you fix this, could you please leave my base at… say at a tiny 10K bonus level… I promise I won’t tell.

Related posts:

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Hi Zoli –

We report whatever number is reported to us by centralized services; we’ve contacted them to let them know about the issue and it should be resolved moving forward. Sorry that your subscriber number will go down. 🙂

–Rick

FeedBurner

2. Anonymous says:

Wow, Rick, that was probably the fastest comment I ever received:-)

I suspected the gltich was on the sending end, especially as it coincides with their upgrade. Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted .. perhaps I should quickly sell ad space while it’s still there :-))

3. Anonymous says:

Ah, that’s the problem. I was wondering how my feeds shot up by 50K when the traffic stayed steady.

4. Anonymous says:

Ahhh, that Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse looks mouthwatering rigth now, after lunch 🙂

5. Anonymous says:

FYI, we manually scrubbed our database for the affected feeds, and Netvibes confirms that their user agent has returned to normal… hopefully that resolves any issues!

–Rick

6. Anonymous says:

Was there an issue here? I can deal with 50K readers 🙂

(But thanks, anyway)

Trackbacks

1. […] time I beat TechCrunch was in July 2006: …their Feedburner subscription base grew almost 100% overnight.  But it […]

%d bloggers like this: